Sunday, March 11, 2007

Taking A Break





This upcoming week is Spring Break at UMass Lowell. Not for admissions counselors though. Most of us have worked on and off all weekend finishing the remainder of the folders so we can get timely decisions to applicants as soon as possible. Anyway, today I was running out of steam so I decided to take a break, snap some blog pics, and throw up an entry (no pun intended).
The above pics are from the Dugan Hall Art floor. The first is a picture of the poster advertising The Big Show, which has been running since February and will run until March 29. The Big Show showcases artwork by Art and Design students. If you are a fan of art, and thinking about coming to UML, this is a good chance to see what Art students are actually up to.
The second pic is a picture of the Dugan Gallery sign with a really cool scene behind it. The first time I walked by that little desk/chair/collage-wall thing, I stopped and tried to figure it out for a while. I couldn't, but I know I like it, and that's the important thing...I think.
The third picture is the hallway of the Dugan Art area with some drawing stuff that is in the works on the walls.
The Dugan Art area is in the basement, which has to be ironic somehow. There is always some great stuff to look at while you stroll through there, and it is nice to know that we have such a vibrant art community here at UML. If you're interested, you can stop by most any time. You should also check out the Art Gallery over in MacGauvran as well. There is always some great stuff going on there too.
One other thing that I thought was interesting: I don't really get bathroom graffiti. I mean, I usually comprehend the messages, but I don't understand the motivation very often. I don't think I've ever been using the restroom and had the urge to communicate anonymously to people via the wall, but many people do. Our custodial staff does a great job of cleaning that up, but one message in the downstairs bathroom I found particularly amusing. It simply says, "The bubbler upstairs has the best water on campus," which is not very funny or entertaining, but it is useful information. For those who live more than like two hours outside of Boston, a 'bubbler' is a water fountain. I'm not one who generally agrees with vandals, but in this case I definitely do. If you plan on visiting campus and bring along a Nalgene or something, I guess you should re-fill it in the bubbler on the first floor of Dugan. Maybe you can do that when you're on your way downstairs to see The Big Show.
Anyway, back to folders for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments: